Job description Network Administrator in Canada
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "network administrator" was moved from the group Computer network technicians (NOC 2281) to the group Computer network and web technicians (NOC 22220).
Find out what work is like for a network administrator in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Computer network technicians (NOC 22220).
Computer network and web technicians
Computer network technicians establish, operate, maintain and coordinate the use of local and wide area networks (LANs and WANs), mainframe networks, hardware, software and related computer equipment. Web technicians set up and maintain internet, extranet and intranet Web sites and Web-server hardware and software, and monitor and optimize network connectivity and performance. They are employed in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors. Computer network and Web technicians who are supervisors are included in this group.
- Computer and network operators
- Maintain, troubleshoot, repair and administer local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), mainframe networks, computer workstations, connections to the Internet and peripheral equipment
- Evaluate and install computer hardware, networking software, operating system software and software applications
- Operate master consoles to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks and to coordinate access and use of computer networks
- Provide problem-solving services to network users
- Perform routine network start up and close down and maintain control records
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations
- Conduct tests and perform security and quality controls
- Perform shell scripting or other basic scripting tasks
- May supervise other workers in this group.
- Web technicians
- Install, maintain, troubleshoot and upgrade Web-server hardware and software
- Implement network traffic and security monitoring software, and optimize server performance
- Control and monitor e-mail use, Web navigation, and installed software
- Respond to requests for help and information from Web site visitors and Web site designers.
- Internet Web site technician
- Web technician
- computer network technician
- data centre operator
- local area network (LAN) administrator
- local area network (LAN) technician
- network administrator
- network support technician
- network system administrator
- Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers)
- Web designers
- Computer systems developers and programmers
- User support technicians
- Information systems testing technicians
- Date modified: