Job description Medical Laboratory Technologist in New Brunswick
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "medical laboratory technologist" was moved from the group Medical laboratory technologists (NOC 3211) to the group Medical laboratory technologists (NOC 32120).
Find out what work is like for a medical laboratory technologist in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Medical laboratory technologists (NOC 32120).
Medical laboratory technologists
Medical laboratory technologists conduct medical laboratory tests, experiments and analyses to assist in the diagnosis, treatment, monitoring and prevention of disease. They are employed in medical laboratories in hospitals, blood banks, community and private clinics, research facilities and post-secondary educational institutions. Medical laboratory technologists who are supervisors are included in this unit group.
- Set up, operate and maintain laboratory equipment
- Conduct and interpret chemical analyses of blood, urine, and cerebrospinal and other body fluids
- Study blood cells and other tissues to determine their relation to various physiological and pathological conditions
- Prepare tissue sections for microscopic examinations using techniques to demonstrate special cellular tissue elements or other characteristics
- Perform and interpret blood group, type and compatibility tests for transfusion purposes
- Validate, document and report test results
- Establish procedures for the analysis of specimens and for medical laboratory experiments
- Conduct quality control assessment of testing techniques
- May supervise and train other medical laboratory technical staff, students and helpers
- May assist pathologists during autopsies.
- cytogenetics technologist - medical laboratory
- histology technologist
- medical laboratory cytotechnologist
- medical laboratory technologist
- medical laboratory technologist - anatomical pathology
- medical laboratory technologists supervisor
- medical technologist - medical laboratory
- Medical laboratory assistants and related technical occupations
- Biological technologists and technicians
- Chemical technologists and technicians
- Date modified: