Job description Optician near Terrebonne (QC)
Find out what work is like for an optician in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Opticians (NOC 3231).
Opticians fit clients with prescription eyeglasses or contact lenses, assist clients in the selection of eyeglass frames, arrange for the production of eyeglasses or contact lenses and mount lenses in eyeglass frames. They are employed in optical retail outlets or other establishments with optical dispensing departments, or they may be self-employed. Student opticians and opticians who are managers of optical retail outlets are included in this unit group.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Obtain specifications for eyeglasses or contact lenses from a prescription prepared by an ophthalmologist or optometrist or by analyzing the client's eyeglasses or contact lenses and by measuring client's eye curvature, pupillary distance and bridge width, using optical measuring devices
- Assist clients in selecting eyeglasses by advising on lens materials, frames, tints and anti-reflection coating
- Advise on use and care of contact lenses
- Arrange for grinding and polishing of lenses or grind and polish lenses
- Cut and edge lenses and fit lenses into frames
- Adjust finished eyeglasses to fit client
- May supervise or manage the activities of other opticians or student opticians.
- contact lens fitter
- contact lens technician
- ophthalmic dispenser
- dispensing optician
- Other medical technologists and technicians (except dental health)
- Other assisting occupations in support of health services
- Specialist physicians
- Retail and wholesale trade managers
- Date modified: