Job description Plumber in the Lower Mainland–Southwest Region
Find out what work is like for a plumber in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Plumbers (NOC 7251).
Plumbers install, repair and maintain pipes, fixtures and other plumbing equipment used for water distribution and waste water disposal in residential, commercial and industrial buildings. They are employed in maintenance departments of factories, plants and similar establishments, by plumbing contractors, or they may be self-employed.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Read blueprints, drawings and specifications to determine layout of plumbing system, water supply network and waste and drainage systems
- Install, repair and maintain domestic, commercial or industrial plumbing fixtures and systems
- Locate and mark positions for pipe connections, passage holes and fixtures in walls and floors
- Cut opening in walls and floors to accommodate pipe and pipe fittings
- Measure, cut, bend and thread pipes using hand and power tools or machines
- Join pipes using couplings, clamps, screws, bolts, cement or soldering, brazing and welding equipment
- Test pipes for leaks using air and water pressure gauges
- May prepare cost estimates.
- plumber apprentice
- maintenance plumber
- plumbing mechanic
- Gas fitters
- Contractors and supervisors, pipefitting trades
- Steamfitters, pipefitters and sprinkler system installers
- Date modified: