Job description Sheet Metal Worker near Whitehorse (YT)
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "sheet metal worker" was moved from the group Sheet metal workers (NOC 7233) to the group Sheet metal workers (NOC 72102).
Find out what work is like for a sheet metal worker in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Sheet metal workers (NOC 72102).
Sheet metal workers
Sheet metal workers fabricate, assemble, install and repair sheet metal products. They are employed by sheet metal fabrication shops, sheet metal products manufacturing companies, sheet metal work contractors and various industrial sectors. Apprentices are also included in this unit group.
- Read engineering and architectural drawings, sketches and work specifications to be performed, and lay out, measure and mark sheet metal according to drawings or templates
- Develop patterns for sheet metal using computer-assisted design and drafting (CAD) software package
- Operate light metalworking machines such as shears, brakes, punches, and drill presses, including computer numerical control (CNC) equipment to cut, bend, punch, drill, shape or straighten sheet metal
- Operate computerized laser or plasma cutting equipment to cut sheet metal
- Install and use rigging and hoisting equipment
- Fit and join sheet metal parts using riveting, welding, soldering and similar equipment to fabricate products such as ventilation shafts, exhaust hoods, eavestroughs, partition frames, air and heat ducts, material handling systems, roof decking and sheet metal buildings
- Install sheet metal products according to specifications and building codes
- Grind and buff seams, joints and rough surfaces
- Inspect product quality and installation to ensure conformance to specifications.
- apprentice sheet metal worker
- sheet metal fabricator
- sheet metal mechanic
- sheet metal worker
- Metalworking and forging machine operators
- Aircraft mechanics and aircraft inspectors
- Structural metal and platework fabricators and fitters
- Contractors and supervisors, machining, metal forming, shaping and erecting trades and related occupations
- Date modified: