Job description Sheet Metal Worker near Vancouver (BC)
Find out what work is like for a sheet metal worker in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Sheet metal workers (NOC 7233).
Sheet metal workers
Sheet metal workers fabricate, assemble, install and repair sheet metal products. They are employed by sheet metal fabrication shops, sheet metal products manufacturing companies, sheet metal work contractors and various industrial sectors.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Read engineering and architectural drawings, sketches and work specifications to be performed, and lay out, measure and mark sheet metal according to drawings or templates
- Develop patterns for sheet metal using computer-assisted design and drafting (CAD) software package
- Operate light metalworking machines such as shears, brakes, punches, and drill presses, including computer numerical control (CNC) equipment to cut, bend, punch, drill, shape or straighten sheet metal
- Operate computerized laser or plasma cutting equipment to cut sheet metal
- Install and use rigging and hoisting equipment
- Fit and join sheet metal parts using riveting, welding, soldering and similar equipment to fabricate products such as ventilation shafts, exhaust hoods, eavestroughs, partition frames, air and heat ducts, material handling systems, roof decking and sheet metal buildings
- Install sheet metal products according to specifications and building codes
- Grind and buff seams, joints and rough surfaces
- Inspect product quality and installation to ensure conformance to specifications.
- Sheet metal workers may specialize in on-site installation or shop manufacture of sheet metal products, or servicing and maintenance of installed equipment and systems.
- apprentice sheet metal worker
- sheet metal mechanic
- sheet metal fabricator
- sheet metal worker
- Structural metal and platework fabricators and fitters
- Aircraft mechanics and aircraft inspectors
- Contractors and supervisors, machining, metal forming, shaping and erecting trades and related occupations
- Metalworking and forging machine operators
- Date modified: