Job description Boilermaker near Whitehorse (YT)
Find out what work is like for a boilermaker in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Boilermakers (NOC 7234).
Boilermakers fabricate, assemble, erect, test, maintain and repair boilers, vessels, tanks, towers, heat exchangers and other heavy-metal structures. They are employed in boiler fabrication, manufacturing, shipbuilding, construction, electric power generation and similar industrial establishments.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Read blueprints or specifications to plan sequence of operation
- Lay out plate, sheet steel or other heavy metal and mark bending and cutting lines on work piece using protractors, compasses and drawing instruments or templates
- Set up and operate heavy-metal working machines such as brakes, rolls, shears, flame cutters and drill presses to cut, shape and form metal into parts or sections
- Fit and weld metal parts or sections together to fabricate boilers, vessels, tanks, heat exchangers, piping and other heavy-metal products
- Erect and install boilers and other heavy-metal products according to specifications using hand and power tools
- Repair and perform maintenance work on boilers and other heavy-metal products
- Direct activities of hoist or crane operators and other workers during fabrication, assembly, installation or repair of structures
- Test finished structures using a variety of methods.
- Boilermakers may specialize in rigging and hoisting, preparation and layout, or welding aspects of the trade.
- boiler fitter
- boiler installer
- boilermaker apprentice
- construction boilermaker
- industrial boilermaker
- marine boilermaker
- pressure vessel fabricator
- Structural metal and platework fabricators and fitters
- Contractors and supervisors, machining, metal forming, shaping and erecting trades and related occupations
- Welders and related machine operators
- Date modified: