Job description Fabricator, Steel - Structural Metal And Platework in Manitoba
Find out what work is like for a fabricator, steel - structural metal and platework in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Structural metal and platework fabricators and fitters (NOC 72104).
Structural metal and platework fabricators and fitters
Structural metal and platework fabricators and fitters fabricate, assemble, fit and install steel or other metal components for buildings, bridges, tanks, towers, boilers, pressure vessels and other similar structures and products. They are employed in structural steel, boiler and platework fabrication plants and by heavy machinery manufacturing and shipbuilding companies. Apprentices are also included in this unit group.
- Study engineering drawings and blueprints, determine the materials required, and plan the sequence of tasks to cut metal most efficiently
- Construct patterns and templates as guides for layouts
- Lay out reference points and patterns on heavy metal according to component specifications
- Rig, hoist and move materials to storage areas or within worksite
- Assemble and fit metal sections and plates to form complete units or subunits using tack welding, bolting, riveting or other methods
- Set up and operate various heavy-duty metal-working machines such as brake presses, shears, cutting torches, grinders and drills, including computer numerical control (CNC) equipment, to bend, cut, form, punch, drill or otherwise form heavy-metal components
- Install fabricated components in final product.
- metal fabricator
- platework fitter
- shipfitter apprentice
- steel fabricator
- structural steel fitter
- Metalworking and forging machine operators
- Welders and related machine operators
- Contractors and supervisors, machining, metal forming, shaping and erecting trades and related occupations
- Date modified: