Job description Mathematical Statistician in the Avalon Peninsula Region
Find out what work is like for a mathematical statistician in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries (NOC 21210).
Mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries
Mathematicians and statisticians research mathematical or statistical theories, and develop and apply mathematical or statistical techniques for solving problems in such fields as science, engineering, business and social science. Actuaries apply mathematics, statistics, probability and risk theory to assess potential financial impacts of future events. Mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries are employed by universities, governments, bank and trust companies, insurance companies, pension benefit consulting firms, professional associations, and science and engineering consulting firms.
- Conduct research to extend mathematical knowledge in traditional areas of mathematics such as algebra, geometry, probability and logic
- Apply mathematical techniques to the solution of problems in scientific fields such as physical science, engineering, computer science or other fields such as operations research, business or management.
- Conduct research into the mathematical basis of the science of statistics
- Develop statistical methodology and advise on the practical application of statistical methodology
- Apply statistical theory and methods to provide information in scientific and other fields such as biological and agricultural science, business and economics, physical sciences and engineering, and the social sciences.
- Apply mathematical models to forecast and calculate the probable future costs of insurance and pension benefits
- Design life, health, and property insurance policies, and calculate premiums, contributions and benefits for insurance policies, and pension and superannuation plans
- May assist investment fund managers in portfolio asset allocation decisions and risk management. They also use these techniques to provide legal evidence on the value of future earnings.
- consulting actuary
- insurance actuary
- statistical analyst
- Other financial officers
- Insurance, real estate and financial brokerage managers
- Financial auditors and accountants
- Financial managers
- Financial advisors
- Financial and investment analysts
- Statistical officers and related research support occupations
- Date modified: