Job description Butcher Apprentice near Toronto (ON)
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "butcher apprentice" was moved from the group Butchers, meat cutters and fishmongers - retail and wholesale (NOC 6331) to the group Butchers - retail and wholesale (NOC 63201).
Find out what work is like for a butcher apprentice in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Butchers, meat cutters and fishmongers - retail and wholesale (NOC 63201).
Butchers - retail and wholesale
Butchers prepare standard and specialty cuts of meat, poultry, fish and shellfish for sale in retail or wholesale food establishments. They are employed in supermarkets, grocery stores, butcher shops and fish stores or may be self-employed. Butchers who are supervisors or heads of departments are included in this unit group. Apprentices are also included in this unit group
- Cut, trim, bone and otherwise prepare custom and/or standard cuts of meat, poultry, fish and shellfish for sale at self-serve counters or according to customers' orders
- Prepare meat for special displays and/or delivery
- Shape, lace and tie roasts and other meats, poultry or fish and may wrap or package fresh or frozen or prepared meats
- Manage inventory, keep records of sales and determine amount, product line and freshness of products according to company and customer requirements
- Adhere to Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP), Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) and food safety standards
- Ensure food storage conditions are adequate
- May supervise, direct work or train other butchers, meat cutters or fishmongers.
- butcher - butcher shop
- butcher apprentice
- head butcher - wholesale
- retail butcher
- Retail salespersons and visual merchandisers
- Meat cutters and fishmongers – retail and wholesale
- Industrial butchers and meat cutters, poultry preparers and related workers
- Fish and seafood plant workers
- Date modified: