Job description Prison Guard in Canada
Find out what work is like for a prison guard in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Correctional service officers (NOC 4422).
Correctional service officers
Correctional service officers guard offenders and detainees and maintain order in correctional institutions and other places of detention. They are employed by federal, provincial and municipal governments. Correctional service officers who are supervisors are included in this unit group.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Observe conduct and behaviour of offenders and detainees to prevent disturbances and escapes
- Supervise offenders during work assignments, meals and recreation periods
- Patrol assigned area and report any problems to supervisor
- Conduct security checks and scanning of visitors, inmates and their cells, working areas and recreational activity areas
- Observe behaviour of offenders and prepare reports
- Escort detainees in transit and during temporary leaves
- Prepare admission, program, release, transfer and other reports
- May supervise and co-ordinate work of other correctional service officers.
- prison guard
- detention attendant
- correctional facility guard
- supervisor, correctional officers
- correctional service officer
- Managers in social, community and correctional services
- Probation and parole officers and related occupations
- Social and community service workers
- Social workers
- Date modified: