Job description Heavy Equipment Mechanic near Toronto (ON)
Find out what work is like for a heavy equipment mechanic in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Heavy-duty equipment mechanics (NOC 7312).
Heavy-duty equipment mechanics
Heavy-duty equipment mechanics repair, troubleshoot, adjust, overhaul and maintain mobile heavy-duty equipment used in construction, transportation, forestry, mining, oil and gas, material handling, landscaping, land clearing, farming and similar activities. They are employed by companies which own and operate heavy equipment, and by heavy equipment dealers, rental and service establishments, railway transport companies and urban transit systems.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Check bulldozers, cranes, graders and other heavy construction, agricultural, logging and mining equipment for proper performance and inspect equipment to detect faults and malfunctions
- Diagnose faults or malfunctions using computerized and other testing equipment to determine extent of repair required
- Adjust equipment and repair or replace defective parts, components or systems, using hand and power tools
- Test repaired equipment for proper performance and to ensure that work meets manufacturers' specifications
- Clean, lubricate and perform other routine maintenance work on equipment
- Service attachments and working tools such as harvesting and tillage equipment, blades, ploughs, winches and side booms
- May perform repair work on heavy trucks
- May attach components and adjust new farm equipment.
- Heavy-duty mechanics may specialize in specific types of machinery such as combines or tracked vehicles, or in engine overhaul, power shift transmissions, fuel injection, hydraulics or electronics.
- agricultural equipment technician
- heavy-duty equipment mechanic apprentice
- construction equipment mechanic
- diesel mechanic - heavy equipment
- farm equipment mechanic
- heavy mobile logging equipment mechanic
- heavy mobile mining equipment mechanic
- heavy equipment mechanic
- locomotive mechanic
- tractor mechanic
- heavy-duty equipment technician
- Contractors and supervisors, mechanic trades
- Construction millwrights and industrial mechanics
- Automotive service technicians, truck and bus mechanics and mechanical repairers
- Date modified: