Job description Technical Director - Motion Pictures, Broadcasting And Performing Arts near Vancouver (BC)
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "technical director - motion pictures, broadcasting and performing arts" was moved from the group Producers, directors, choreographers and related occupations (NOC 5131) to the group Producers, directors, choreographers and related occupations (NOC 51120).
Find out what work is like for a technical director - motion pictures, broadcasting and performing arts in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Producers, directors, choreographers and related occupations (NOC 51120).
Producers, directors, choreographers and related occupations
Producers, directors, choreographers and professionals in related occupations oversee and control the technical and artistic aspects of film, television, video game, radio, dance and theatre productions. They are employed by film production companies, radio and television stations, video game companies, broadcast departments, advertising companies, sound recording studios, record production companies and dance companies. They may also be self-employed.
- Film, radio, television and video game producers
- Plan, organize and control the various stages and scheduling involved in the production of presentations, motion pictures, television shows and radio programs; engage directors and other production personnel and supervise all technical personnel, and determine the treatment, scope and scheduling of production; maintain production archives, negotiate royalties, and may plan and control the budget pertaining to a particular production.
- Interpret scripts and direct the mise-en-scène; select and direct the actors, extras and technical crew; advise the cast and crew on the interpretation and delivery of the performance; direct rehearsals, filmings, broadcasts and performances; and confer with crew and specialists throughout production and post-production to achieve desired presentation.
- Create dances for film, theatre and television performances that convey stories, ideas and moods, and direct rehearsals for dancers to achieve desired interpretation.
- Art directors
- Plan, organize and direct the artistic aspects of motion pictures, video games, stage productions and television shows by overseeing the design of sets, costumes, furnishings and props to create portrayals of period and setting.
- Film editors
- Edit motion picture film and arrange film segments into sequences to achieve continuity and desired dramatic, comedic and thematic effects.
- Record producers
- Plan and coordinate the production of musical recordings, direct musicians and singers during rehearsals and recordings and manage technicians involved in duplicating, dubbing and mastering of recordings.
- Directors of photography
- Coordinate and direct the photography of motion pictures, supervise camera operators and other crews and determine lighting, lenses, camera angles, backgrounds and other elements to achieve desired visual effect.
- artistic director - motion picture
- director - motion picture
- director of photography
- multimedia audio producer
- producer - performing arts
- radio producer
- record producer
- stage director - performing arts
- technical director - broadcasting
- television producer
- Technical occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting and the performing arts (5211)
- Photographers and support occupations in arts and culture (5311)
- Date modified: