Job description Maintenance Labourer - Public Works near Charlottetown (PE)
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "maintenance labourer - public works" was moved from the group Public works and maintenance labourers (NOC 7621) to the group Public works and maintenance labourers (NOC 75212).
Find out what work is like for a maintenance labourer - public works in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Public works and maintenance labourers (NOC 75212).
Public works and maintenance labourers
Public works and maintenance labourers perform a variety of labouring activities to maintain sidewalks, streets, roads and similar areas. They are employed by public works departments in all levels of government or by private contractors under contract to governments.
- Clean and maintain sidewalks, streets, roads and public grounds of municipality and other areas, working as member of crew
- Sweep debris and remove snow from streets, sidewalks, building grounds and other areas, and load snow and debris into carts or trucks
- Shovel cement and other materials into cement mixers, spread concrete and asphalt on road surfaces using shovels, rakes and hand tampers, and perform other activities to assist in maintenance and repair of roads
- Spread sand or salt on sidewalks for snow and ice control
- Dig ditches and trenches using shovels and other hand tools
- Operate jackhammers and drills to break up pavement
- Load and unload trucks with supplies and equipment
- Collect money from coin boxes of parking meters along established route
- Collect and load refuse on garbage trucks
- Assist equipment operators to secure attachments to equipment or trucks
- Assist in routine maintenance and repair of equipment
- Assist skilled tradespersons such as carpenters, plumbers and mechanics
- May operate mobile sidewalk-cleaning equipment.
- helper - garbage collection
- municipal labourer
- parking meter collector
- public works labourer
- road maintenance worker
- sewer maintenance worker
- sidewalk cleaner
- Contractors and supervisors, heavy equipment operator crews
- Public works maintenance equipment operators and related workers
- Construction trades helpers and labourers
- Landscaping and grounds maintenance labourers
- Date modified: