Job description General Farm Worker in the Laurentides Region
Find out what work is like for a general farm worker in Canada. This work description is applicable to all General farm workers (NOC 8431).
General farm workers
General farm workers plant, cultivate and harvest crops, raise livestock and poultry and maintain and repair farm equipment and buildings. This unit group includes operators of farm machinery. They are employed on crop, livestock, fruit, vegetable and specialty farms.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Plant, fertilize, cultivate, spray, irrigate and harvest crops
- Feed and tend livestock and poultry
- Milk cows
- Perform or assist in performing breeding activities of farm animals
- Operate and maintain farm machinery and equipment
- Follow food safety and security and animal bio-security procedures
- Detect disease and health problems in crops, livestock and poultry
- Examine produce for quality and prepare for market
- Set and monitor water lines, air flow and temperature in barns, pens and chicken coops
- Maintain or assist in the maintenance of facilities and farm infrastructure including cleaning stables, barns, barnyards and pens.
- General farm workers can become specialized in a particular type of crop or livestock production through experience.
- cattle ranch labourer
- beef cattle farm worker
- farm machinery operator
- general farm worker
- grain farm worker
- harvester machine operator
- hatchery worker
- poultry farm worker
- dairy farm worker
- vegetable farm worker
- Managers in agriculture
- Harvesting labourers
- Agricultural service contractors, farm supervisors and specialized livestock workers
- Date modified: