Job prospects Transport Driver near Edmonton (AB)
Explore current and future job prospects for Transport truck drivers near Edmonton (AB). These trends also apply to people working as a transport driver.
Balanced labour market
The prospect of finding work in this occupation was fair over the past few years (2016-2018). The number of job openings was about the same as the number of workers available.
The employment outlook will be fair for Transport truck drivers (NOC 7511) in the Edmonton region for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a moderate number of new positions.
- Several positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a moderate number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
- High employee turnover in this occupation could lead to additional employment opportunities.
Coal production in Alberta has been in decline, largely because of the imminent closure of mines aimed at producing thermal coal for domestic use. The government mandated transition from coal-fired power generation to natural gas-fired and renewable energy sources may limit the job opportunities for this mining related occupation. That said, the Vista coal mine is now operating and shipping coal to export markets with a few new jobs on offer.
Here are some key facts about Transport truck drivers in the Edmonton region:
- Approximately 14,440 people work in this occupation.
- Transport truck drivers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Transportation and warehousing (NAICS 48-49): 65%
- Construction (NAICS 23): 9%
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in CanadaExplore current and future job prospects elsewhere in Canada.
- Date modified: