Job prospects Resident Care Aide - Medical near St. John's (NL)
Explore current and future job prospects for people working as "Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates" near St. John's (NL) or Canada.
Current and future job prospects
Note that these outlooks are based on the 2016 version of the NOC. Learn more about our methodology.
Recent trends from the past 3 years
The prospect of finding work in this occupation was good over the past few years (2019-2021). There were more job openings than workers available to fill them.
Source Labour Market Information | Recent Trends Assessment Methodology
Job outlook over the next 3 years
The employment outlook will be good for Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates (NOC 3413) in the Avalon Peninsula region for the 2022-2024 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a moderate number of new positions.
- A moderate number of positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a moderate number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Demand for the services of this occupation is high and expected to increase, as the aging population requires more care. However, financial constraints are expected to somewhat dampen growth prospects. Staffing shortages have been reported in facilities throughout the province, resulting in large workloads and forced overtime. One example of shortages has been in the lack of sufficient temporary staff needed to fill in for vacation, sick leave and other absences by permanent employees. The provincial government has expanded its nursing college programs to help address shortfalls.
Here are some key facts about Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates in the Avalon Peninsula region:
- Approximately 2,290 people work in this occupation.
- Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates mainly work in the following sectors:
- Nursing and residential care facilities (NAICS 623): 42%
- Hospitals (NAICS 622): 41%
- Social assistance (NAICS 624): 9%
Labour market conditions over the next 10 years
Find out what will be the job prospects for Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates across Canada over the next 10 years, from 2022 to 2031.
- Date modified: