Job prospects Support Services Assistant - Medical in the Northeast Region
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "support services assistant - medical" was moved from the group Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates (NOC 3413) to the group Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates (NOC 33102).
Explore current and future job prospects for people working as "Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates" in the Northeast Region or Canada.
Current and future job prospects
Note that these outlooks are based on the 2016 version of the NOC. Learn more about our methodology.
Recent trends from the past 3 years
The prospect of finding work in this occupation was good over the past few years (2019-2021). There were more job openings than workers available to fill them.
Job outlook over the next 3 years
The employment outlook will be limited for Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates (NOC 3413) in the Northeast region for the 2022-2024 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to several new positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are several unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
- An aging population is driving long-term demand for more healthcare services.
- Demand also spiked due to the COVID-19 pandemic, increasing pressure for healthcare workers.
- More workers will be required to meet demand in this occupation.
Here are some key facts about Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates in the Northeast region:
- Approximately 270 people worked in this occupation in May 2016.
- Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates mainly work in the following sectors:
- Nursing and residential care facilities and social assistance (NAICS 623-624): 43%
- Ambulatory health care services and hospitals (NAICS 621-622): 43%
- Mining and quarrying (NAICS 212): 5%
Labour market conditions over the next 10 years
- Date modified: