Job prospects Material Handler near Vancouver (BC)
Explore current and future job prospects for Material handlers near Vancouver (BC). These trends also apply to people working as a material handler.
Note: These employment prospects were published in December 2021 based on the information available at the time of analysis. The next update will be in December 2022. To learn more, see our FAQs. You can also find additional information on the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard.
Recent trends from the past 3 years
The prospect of finding work in this occupation was fair over the past few years (2018-2020). The number of job openings was about the same as the number of workers available.
Job outlook over the next 3 years
The employment outlook will be fair for Material handlers (NOC 7452) in the Lower Mainland - Southwest region for the 2021-2023 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a moderate number of new positions.
- A moderate number of positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a moderate number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
- High employee turnover in this occupation could lead to additional employment opportunities.
The outlook across the region is good. The rise in online shopping is placing further stress on the transportation and warehousing industry. Increased competition has created a need for distribution centres located as close to final destinations as possible and expanding the need for parcel delivery service.
Here are some key facts about Material handlers in the Lower Mainland - Southwest region:
- Approximately 16,580 people work in this occupation.
- Material handlers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Transportation and warehousing (NAICS 48-49): 29%
- Wholesale trade (NAICS 41): 22%
- Retail Trade (NAICS 44-45): 17%
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Labour market conditions over the next 10 yearsExplore current and future job prospects elsewhere in Canada.
- Date modified: