Job prospects Roofer, Shingles near Ottawa (ON)
Explore current and future job prospects for Roofers and shinglers near Ottawa (ON). These trends also apply to people working as a roofer, shingles.
Balanced labour market
The prospect of finding work in this occupation was fair over the past few years (2016-2018). The number of job openings was about the same as the number of workers available.
The employment outlook will be fair for Roofers and shinglers (NOC 7291) in the Ottawa region for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a moderate number of new positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
- Due to the seasonal nature of this occupation, employment opportunities tend to be more favourable during the summer months.
Sizeable investments in public infrastructure, transit, and warehousing will support non-residential building activity. Construction will continue on the region's transit network with Stage 2 of the Confederation Line Extension Project and the Trillium Line Extension Project set to begin. This is one of the biggest infrastructure projects taking place across eastern Ontario and it is a major source of work for the industry. Growth in downtown Ottawa's technology hub along with improved transit may create opportunities in the commercial market to meet population growth. Housing starts should be rather positive in the near term. The low-rise market will see much of the activity as housing starts for multi-unit dwellings may ease as several projects are currently under construction and will come online over the next two years.
Here are some key facts about Roofers and shinglers in the Ottawa region:
- Approximately 750 people work in this occupation.
- Roofers and shinglers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Construction (NAICS 23): 39%
- Management and Administrative Services (NAICS 55-56): 16%
- Retail Trade (NAICS 44-45): 9%
- Transportation and warehousing (NAICS 48-49): 5%
- Accommodation and food services (NAICS 72): 5%
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in CanadaExplore current and future job prospects elsewhere in Canada.
- Date modified: