Job prospects Rental Agent - Retail near Québec (QC)
Explore current and future job prospects for people working as "Retail salespersons" near Québec (QC) or Canada.
Current and future job prospects
Note: These outlooks are based on the 2016 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). Learn more about our methodology.
Recent trends from the past 3 years
Job outlook over the next 3 years
The employment outlook will be limited for Retail salespersons (NOC 6421) in the Capitale-Nationale region for the 2022-2024 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment decline will lead to the loss of a few positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are several unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
- High employee turnover in this occupation could lead to additional employment opportunities.
- The evolution of this occupation is linked to the trends that influence the retail industry. This sector is expected to maintain a slow, gentle decline over the next few years.
- While closures are still occurring in underperforming segments of the industry, including apparel retailers, other sectors are continuing to grow, such as food and building materials.
- Inflation and rising interest rates, resulting in a loss of purchasing power for households, could lead to a decrease in their consumption, which would further affect the sale of luxury goods. Retailers of essential products may be less affected.
- The province's population growth is among the slowest in Canada, while an aging population is leading to a different way of consuming due to lower income and changing needs with age, which clouds the longer-term outlook.
- This trend could become more pronounced if the rise of e-commerce continues, reducing in-store traffic, while a large proportion of Quebec businesses still lag behind in online transactions.
While it will be limited or very limited elsewhere, the employment outlook for this occupation will be moderate in the following region:
- Chaudière-Appalaches, due to a lower proportion of unemployed and a higher proportion of retirements
Here are some key facts about Retail salespersons in the Capitale-Nationale region:
- Approximately 11,260 people work in this occupation.
- Retail salespersons mainly work in the following sectors:
- Retail Trade (NAICS 44-45): 87%
Labour market conditions over the next 10 years
Find out what will be the job prospects for Retail salespersons across Canada over the next 10 years, from 2022 to 2031.
- Date modified: