Job prospects Software Development Programmer near Montréal (QC)
Explore current and future job prospects for people working as "Computer programmers and interactive media developers" near Montréal (QC) or Canada.
Current and future job prospects
Note: These outlooks are based on the 2016 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). Learn more about our methodology.
Recent trends from the past 3 years
Over the past few years (2019-2021), the labour market was balanced for Computer programmers and interactive media developers near Montréal (QC). The number of job openings was about the same as the number of workers available in this occupation.
Job outlook over the next 3 years
The employment outlook will be good for Computer programmers and interactive media developers (NOC 2174) in the census metropolitan area of Montréal for the 2022-2024 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to several new positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
- Employment in this profession mainly depends on the demand for IT services, and, to a lesser extent, for the video game industry. Many other sectors also hire these professionals, such as the finance, insurance, and information industries. Rapid technological developments give these professionals a clear advantage.
- Many IT niche markets are expanding, including cybersecurity, cloud computing services, cryptography, mobile development or the development of applications that are more intuitive, artificial intelligence, and automation.
- As well, with companies transitioning to this new digital era, research and development, robotization, and the quest for greater productivity will contribute to new positions being created.
- The pandemic highlighted the need for entry and exit controls in the workplace, and many employers will have to refer to these professionals to that end.
- Given that the video game industry is well established in Quebec, it will continue to create job opportunities (mobile games, cinema, animation, virtual and augmented reality, etc.).
- Remote work stimulates the demand for these professionals. Companies need to ensure that their technological infrastructure is secure with employees mainly working off-site. At the same time, it increases job opportunities for these professionals, since the majority of them can carry out their duties remotely.
Here are some key facts about Computer programmers and interactive media developers in the census metropolitan area of Montréal:
- Approximately 18,970 people worked in this occupation in May 2016.
Labour market conditions over the next 10 years
Find out what will be the job prospects for Computer programmers and interactive media developers across Canada over the next 10 years, from 2022 to 2031.
- Date modified: