Job prospects Post-secondary Research Assistant in Newfoundland and Labrador
Job opportunities for Post-secondary teaching and research assistants (NOC 4012) are fair in Newfoundland and Labrador over the next 3 years. These job prospects are also applicable to people working as a post-secondary research assistant.
Note that these employment prospects were published in December 2019 based on information available at that time. You can read our new special report to learn about the impact of COVID-19 on some occupations in your province or territory. You can also visit the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard to find the latest data on the demand and work requirements for this occupation.
Job opportunities in Newfoundland and Labrador
The employment outlook will be fair for Post-secondary teaching and research assistants (NOC 4012) in Newfoundland and Labrador for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment decline will lead to the loss of a few positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
- High employee turnover in this occupation could lead to additional employment opportunities.
Here are some key facts about Post-secondary teaching and research assistants in the Newfoundland and Labrador region:
- Approximately 900 people work in this occupation.
- Post-secondary teaching and research assistants mainly work in the following sectors:
- Universities (NAICS 6113): 94%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: 65% compared to 84% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: 35% compared to 16% for all occupations
- 48% of post-secondary teaching and research assistants work all year, while 52% work only part of the year, compared to 56% and 44% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 27 weeks compared to 26 weeks for all occupations.
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Newfoundland and Labrador by economic region.
|Avalon Peninsula Region||Fair Fair|
|Notre Dame-Central-Bonavista Bay Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|South Coast–Burin Peninsula Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|West Coast–Northern Peninsula–Labrador Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in Canada
We expect that the labour supply and demand for Post-secondary teaching and research assistants (NOC 4012) will be balanced in Canada over the next 10 years.
- Date modified: