Job prospects Marker - Post-secondary Teaching Assistance in Alberta
Job opportunities for Post-secondary teaching and research assistants (NOC 4012) are fair in Alberta over the next 3 years. These job prospects are also applicable to people working as a marker - post-secondary teaching assistance.
Note: These employment prospects were published in December 2021 based on the information available at the time of analysis. The next update will be in December 2022. To learn more, see our FAQs. You can also find additional information on the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard.
Job opportunities in Alberta
The employment outlook will be fair for Post-secondary teaching and research assistants (NOC 4012) in Alberta for the 2021-2023 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment decline will lead to the loss of some positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Here are some key facts about Post-secondary teaching and research assistants in the Alberta region:
- Approximately 9,900 people work in this occupation.
- Post-secondary teaching and research assistants mainly work in the following sectors:
- Universities (NAICS 6113): 93%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: 69% compared to 81% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: 31% compared to 19% for all occupations
- 46% of post-secondary teaching and research assistants work all year, while 54% work only part of the year, compared to 59% and 41% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 28 weeks compared to 32 weeks for all occupations.
- Less than 5% of post-secondary teaching and research assistants are self-employed compared to an average of 12% for all occupations.
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Alberta by economic region.
|Athabasca–Grande Prairie–Peace River Region||Fair Fair|
|Banff–Jasper–Rocky Mountain House Region||Fair Fair|
|Calgary Region||Fair Fair|
|Camrose–Drumheller Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|Edmonton Region||Fair Fair|
|Lethbridge–Medicine Hat Region||Fair Fair|
|Red Deer Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|Wood Buffalo–Cold Lake Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Labour market conditions over the next 10 years
We expect that the labour supply and demand for Post-secondary teaching and research assistants (NOC 4012) will be balanced in Canada over the next 10 years.
- Date modified: