Job prospects Laser Beam Machine-welder Operator in Manitoba
Job opportunities for Welders and related machine operators (NOC 7237) are fair in Manitoba over the next 3 years. These job prospects are also applicable to people working as a laser beam machine-welder operator.
Note: These employment prospects were published in December 2021 based on the information available at the time of analysis. The next update will be in December 2022. To learn more, see our FAQs. You can also find additional information on the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard.
Job opportunities in Manitoba
The employment outlook will be fair for Welders and related machine operators (NOC 7237) in Manitoba for the 2021-2023 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment decline will lead to the loss of some positions.
- A moderate number of positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are several unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Demand for welders and related machine operators is driven by activities in industries such as manufacturing, mining and construction. The Government of Manitoba's allocation of $2.1 billion in Budget 2021 on infrastructure spending will support employment opportunities for this occupation.
Here are some key facts about Welders and related machine operators in the Manitoba region:
- Approximately 4,100 people work in this occupation.
- Welders and related machine operators mainly work in the following sectors:
- Fabricated metal product manufacturing (NAICS 332): 17%
- Machinery manufacturing (NAICS 333): 16%
- Repair and maintenance (NAICS 811): 14%
- Construction (NAICS 23): 12%
- Transportation equipment manufacturing (NAICS 336): 10%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: more than 95% compared to 79% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: less than 5% compared to 21% for all occupations
- 66% of welders and related machine operators work all year, while 34% work only part of the year, compared to 64% and 36% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 35 weeks compared to 31 weeks for all occupations.
- 7% of welders and related machine operators are self-employed compared to an average of 10% for all occupations.
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Manitoba by economic region.
|Interlake Region||Fair Fair|
|North Central Region||Fair Fair|
|North Region||Fair Fair|
|Parklands Region||Fair Fair|
|South Central Region||Fair Fair|
|Southeast Region||Fair Fair|
|Southwest Region||Fair Fair|
|Winnipeg Region||Fair Fair|
To view this data on a map, go to: LMI Explore
Labour market conditions over the next 10 years
We expect that there will be a labour SHORTAGE for Welders and related machine operators (NOC 7237) in Canada over the next 10 years.
- Date modified: