Job prospects Cashier in Manitoba
Job opportunities for Cashiers (NOC 6611) are limited in Manitoba over the next 3 years. These job prospects are also applicable to people working as a cashier.
Note that these employment prospects were published in December 2019 based on information available at that time. You can read our new special report to learn about the impact of COVID-19 on some occupations in your province or territory. You can also visit the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard to find the latest data on the demand and work requirements for this occupation.
Job opportunities in Manitoba
The employment outlook will be limited for Cashiers (NOC 6611) in Manitoba for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment decline will lead to the loss of some positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a moderate number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
- High employee turnover in this occupation could lead to additional employment opportunities.
Here are some key facts about Cashiers in the Manitoba region:
- Approximately 10,650 people work in this occupation.
- Cashiers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Other retail stores (NAICS 44-45, except 445): 41%
- Food and beverage stores (NAICS 445): 34%
- Food services and drinking places (NAICS 722): 15%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: 33% compared to 79% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: 67% compared to 21% for all occupations
- 44% of cashiers work all year, while 56% work only part of the year, compared to 64% and 36% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 25 weeks compared to 31 weeks for all occupations.
- Less than 5% of cashiers are self-employed compared to an average of 10% for all occupations.
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Manitoba by economic region.
|Interlake Region||Fair Fair|
|North Central Region||Fair Fair|
|North Region||Limited Limited|
|Parklands Region||Limited Limited|
|South Central Region||Fair Fair|
|Southeast Region||Limited Limited|
|Southwest Region||Limited Limited|
|Winnipeg Region||Fair Fair|
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in Canada
We expect that the labour supply and demand for Cashiers (NOC 6611) will be balanced in Canada over the next 10 years.
- Date modified: