Job prospects Medical Doctor in the Ottawa Region
Explore current and future job prospects for General practitioners and family physicians in the Ottawa Region. These trends also apply to people working as a medical doctor.
Note that these employment prospects were published in December 2019 based on information available at that time. You can read our new special report to learn about the impact of COVID-19 on some occupations in your province or territory. You can also visit the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard to find the latest data on the demand and work requirements for this occupation.
Balanced labour market
The prospect of finding work in this occupation was fair over the past few years (2016-2018). The number of job openings was about the same as the number of workers available.
The employment outlook will be good for General practitioners and family physicians (NOC 3112) in the Ottawa region for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to several new positions.
- A moderate number of positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Fluency in English and French may be beneficial.
Here are some key facts about General practitioners and family physicians in the Ottawa region:
- Approximately 3,980 people work in this occupation.
- General practitioners and family physicians mainly work in the following sectors:
- Ambulatory health care services and hospitals (NAICS 621-622): 90%
- Educational services (NAICS 61): 9%
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in CanadaExplore current and future job prospects elsewhere in Canada.
- Date modified: