Job prospects Computer Network Technician near Ottawa (ON)
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "computer network technician" was moved from the group Computer network technicians (NOC 2281) to the group Computer network and web technicians (NOC 22220).
Explore current and future job prospects for people working as "Computer network technicians" near Ottawa (ON) or Canada.
Current and future job prospects
Note that these outlooks are based on the 2016 version of the NOC. Learn more about our methodology.
Recent trends from the past 3 years
The prospect of finding work in this occupation was fair over the past few years (2019-2021). The number of job openings was about the same as the number of workers available.
Job outlook over the next 3 years
The employment outlook will be moderate for Computer network technicians (NOC 2281) in the Ottawa region for the 2022-2024 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to several new positions.
- A moderate number of positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a moderate number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Here are some key facts about Computer network technicians in the Ottawa region:
- Approximately 2,690 people work in this occupation.
- Computer network technicians mainly work in the following sectors:
- Federal government public administration (NAICS 911): 32%
- Professional, scientific and technical services (NAICS 54): 24%
- Information, cultural, arts, entertainment and recreation services (NAICS 51, 71): 8%
- Wholesale trade (NAICS 41): 7%
Labour market conditions over the next 10 years
- Date modified: