Job outlook Administrative Assistant - Legal near Charlottetown (PE)
Job opportunities for Legal administrative assistants (NOC 1242) are fair near Charlottetown (PE) over the next 3 years. This job outlook is also applicable to people working as an administrative assistant - legal.
Job opportunities near Charlottetown (PE)
The employment outlook will be fair for Legal administrative assistants (NOC 1242) in Prince Edward Island for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a moderate number of new positions.
- A moderate number of positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a moderate number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
The majority of legal secretaries work in law offices, real estate brokerages and in public sector offices, across all levels of government. Due to the introduction of computer applications aimed at automating administrative tasks traditionally performed by legal secretaries, demand for this occupation has been steadily declining.
Staff turnover will occur as some legal secretaries obtain additional training and progress to other professional law occupations, such as, paralegals. Generally, vocational training is usually required and knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and database software is important. Candidates with post-secondary education may have better job prospects. Industry-specific knowledge and experience will be an asset.
Here are some key facts about Legal administrative assistants in the Prince Edward Island region:
- Approximately 100 people worked in this occupation in May 2015.
- Legal administrative assistants mainly work in the following sectors:
- Legal services (NAICS 5411):more than 95%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: more than 95% compared to 83% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: less than 5% compared to 17% for all occupations
- 68% of legal administrative assistants work all year, while 32% work only part of the year, compared to 58% and 42% respectively among all occupations.
Job opportunities in Prince Edward Island
Labour market conditions across Canada
We expect that the labour supply and demand for Legal administrative assistants (NOC 1242) will be balanced in Canada over the next 10 years.
- Date modified: