Job prospects Medical Specialist in Québec
Job opportunities for Specialist physicians (NOC 3111) are good in Québec over the next 3 years. These job prospects are also applicable to people working as a medical specialist.
Note that these employment prospects were published in December 2019 based on information available at that time. You can read our new special report to learn about the impact of COVID-19 on some occupations in your province or territory. You can also visit the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard to find the latest data on the demand and work requirements for this occupation.
Job opportunities in Québec
The employment outlook will be good for Specialist physicians (NOC 3111) in Québec for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a moderate number of new positions.
- A moderate number of positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Here are some key facts about Specialist physicians in Québec:
- Approximately 10,950 people work in this occupation.
- Specialist physicians mainly work in the following sectors:
- Hospitals (NAICS 622): 65%
- Ambulatory health care services (NAICS 621): 33%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: 94% compared to 80% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: 6% compared to 20% for all occupations
- 30% of specialist physicians work all year, while 70% work only part of the year, compared to 58% and 42% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 42 weeks compared to 33 weeks for all occupations.
- 61% of specialist physicians are self-employed compared to an average of 12% for all occupations.
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Québec by economic region.
|Abitibi-Témiscamingue Region||Good Good|
|Bas-Saint-Laurent Region||Good Good|
|Capitale-Nationale Region||Good Good|
|Centre-du-Québec Region||Good Good|
|Chaudière-Appalaches Region||Good Good|
|Côte-Nord Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|Estrie Region||Good Good|
|Gaspésie–Îles-de-la-Madeleine Region||Fair Fair|
|Lanaudière Region||Good Good|
|Laurentides Region||Good Good|
|Laval Region||Good Good|
|Mauricie Region||Good Good|
|Montréal Region||Good Good|
|Montérégie Region||Good Good|
|Nord-du-Québec Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|Outaouais Region||Good Good|
|Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean Region||Fair Fair|
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in Canada
We expect that there will be a labour SHORTAGE for Specialist physicians (NOC 3111) in Canada over the next 10 years.
- Date modified: