Job prospects Dentist in Québec
Job opportunities for Dentists (NOC 3113) are good in Québec over the next 3 years. These job prospects are also applicable to people working as a dentist.
Note: These employment prospects were published in December 2021 based on the information available at the time of analysis. The next update will be in December 2022. To learn more, see our FAQs. You can also find additional information on the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard.
Job opportunities in Québec
The employment outlook will be good for Dentists (NOC 3113) in Québec for the 2021-2023 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to several new positions. Part of this growth is attributable to the recovery of losses suffered during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Several positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Here are some key facts about Dentists in Québec:
- Approximately 4,250 people work in this occupation.
- Dentists mainly work in the following sectors:
- Ambulatory health care services (NAICS 621):more than 95%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: 85% compared to 80% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: 15% compared to 20% for all occupations
- 23% of dentists work all year, while 77% work only part of the year, compared to 58% and 42% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 44 weeks compared to 33 weeks for all occupations.
- 74% of dentists are self-employed compared to an average of 12% for all occupations.
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Québec by economic region.
|Abitibi-Témiscamingue Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|Bas-Saint-Laurent Region||Good Good|
|Capitale-Nationale Region||Good Good|
|Centre-du-Québec Region||Fair Fair|
|Chaudière-Appalaches Region||Good Good|
|Côte-Nord Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|Estrie Region||Good Good|
|Gaspésie–Îles-de-la-Madeleine Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|Lanaudière Region||Good Good|
|Laurentides Region||Good Good|
|Laval Region||Good Good|
|Mauricie Region||Good Good|
|Montréal Region||Good Good|
|Montérégie Region||Good Good|
|Nord-du-Québec Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|Outaouais Region||Good Good|
|Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean Region||Good Good|
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in Canada
We expect that there will be a labour SHORTAGE for Dentists (NOC 3113) in Canada over the next 10 years.
- Date modified: