Job prospects Veterinarian in Alberta
Job opportunities for Veterinarians (NOC 3114) are fair in Alberta over the next 3 years. These job prospects are also applicable to people working as a veterinarian.
Note that these employment prospects were published in December 2019 based on information available at that time. You can read our new special report to learn about the impact of COVID-19 on some occupations in your province or territory. You can also visit the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard to find the latest data on the demand and work requirements for this occupation.
Job opportunities in Alberta
The employment outlook will be fair for Veterinarians (NOC 3114) in Alberta for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a few new positions.
- Several positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Here are some key facts about Veterinarians in the Alberta region:
- Approximately 1,250 people worked in this occupation in May 2015.
- Veterinarians mainly work in the following sectors:
- Other professional, scientific and technical services (NAICS 5414, 5416-5419): 89%
- Federal government public administration (NAICS 911): 6%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: 87% compared to 81% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: 13% compared to 19% for all occupations
- 63% of veterinarians work all year, while 37% work only part of the year, compared to 59% and 41% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 35 weeks compared to 32 weeks for all occupations.
- 29% of veterinarians are self-employed compared to an average of 12% for all occupations.
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Alberta by economic region.
|Athabasca–Grande Prairie–Peace River Region||Fair Fair|
|Banff–Jasper–Rocky Mountain House Region||Fair Fair|
|Calgary Region||Fair Fair|
|Camrose–Drumheller Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|Edmonton Region||Fair Fair|
|Lethbridge–Medicine Hat Region||Fair Fair|
|Red Deer Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|Wood Buffalo–Cold Lake Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in Canada
We expect that the labour supply and demand for Veterinarians (NOC 3114) will be balanced in Canada over the next 10 years.
- Date modified: