Job prospects Diagnostic Medical Sonographer in Ontario
Job opportunities for Medical sonographers (NOC 3216) are good in Ontario over the next 3 years. These job prospects are also applicable to people working as a diagnostic medical sonographer.
Note: These employment prospects were published in December 2021 based on the information available at the time of analysis. The next update will be in December 2022. To learn more, see our FAQs. You can also find additional information on the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard.
Job opportunities in Ontario
The employment outlook will be good for Medical sonographers (NOC 3216) in Ontario for the 2021-2023 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a moderate number of new positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Here are some key facts about Medical sonographers in the Ontario region:
- Approximately 4,100 people work in this occupation.
- Medical sonographers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Ambulatory health care services (NAICS 621): 51%
- Hospitals (NAICS 622): 46%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: 81% compared to 79% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: 19% compared to 21% for all occupations
- 72% of medical sonographers work all year, while 28% work only part of the year, compared to 63% and 37% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 38 weeks compared to 31 weeks for all occupations.
- 6% of medical sonographers are self-employed compared to an average of 12% for all occupations.
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Ontario by economic region.
|Hamilton–Niagara Peninsula Region||Good Good|
|Kingston–Pembroke Region||Good Good|
|Kitchener–Waterloo–Barrie Region||Good Good|
|London Region||Good Good|
|Muskoka–Kawarthas Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|Northeast Region||Good Good|
|Northwest Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|Ottawa Region||Good Good|
|Stratford–Bruce Peninsula Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|Toronto Region||Good Good|
|Windsor-Sarnia Region||Good Good|
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
- Date modified: