Job prospects University Professor in Alberta
Job opportunities for University professors and lecturers (NOC 4011) are fair in Alberta over the next 3 years. These job prospects are also applicable to people working as an university professor.
Note: These employment prospects were published in December 2021 based on the information available at the time of analysis. The next update will be in December 2022. To learn more, see our FAQs. You can also find additional information on the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard.
Job opportunities in Alberta
The employment outlook will be fair for University professors and lecturers (NOC 4011) in Alberta for the 2021-2023 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment decline will lead to the loss of some positions.
- Several positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
The Alberta government’s Budget 2021 reduces spending on post-secondary institution employees’ compensation by nearly 6% from 2020-2021 levels in 2021-2022.
Here are some key facts about University professors and lecturers in the Alberta region:
- Approximately 6,350 people work in this occupation.
- University professors and lecturers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Universities (NAICS 6113):more than 95%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: 88% compared to 81% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: 12% compared to 19% for all occupations
- 64% of university professors and lecturers work all year, while 36% work only part of the year, compared to 59% and 41% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 36 weeks compared to 32 weeks for all occupations.
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Alberta by economic region.
|Athabasca–Grande Prairie–Peace River Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|Banff–Jasper–Rocky Mountain House Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|Calgary Region||Fair Fair|
|Camrose–Drumheller Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|Edmonton Region||Fair Fair|
|Lethbridge–Medicine Hat Region||Fair Fair|
|Red Deer Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|Wood Buffalo–Cold Lake Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Labour market conditions over the next 10 years
We expect that the labour supply and demand for University professors and lecturers (NOC 4011) will be balanced in Canada over the next 10 years.
- Date modified: