Job prospects University Professor in Newfoundland and Labrador
Job opportunities for University professors and lecturers (NOC 4011) are fair in Newfoundland and Labrador over the next 3 years. These job prospects are also applicable to people working as an university professor.
Note that these employment prospects were published in December 2019 based on information available at that time. You can read our new special report to learn about the impact of COVID-19 on some occupations in your province or territory. You can also visit the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard to find the latest data on the demand and work requirements for this occupation.
Job opportunities in Newfoundland and Labrador
The employment outlook will be fair for University professors and lecturers (NOC 4011) in Newfoundland and Labrador for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment is expected to remain relatively stable.
- Several positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Here are some key facts about University professors and lecturers in the Newfoundland and Labrador region:
- Approximately 1,150 people work in this occupation.
- University professors and lecturers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Universities (NAICS 6113):more than 95%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: more than 95% compared to 84% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: less than 5% compared to 16% for all occupations
- 79% of university professors and lecturers work all year, while 21% work only part of the year, compared to 56% and 44% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 35 weeks compared to 26 weeks for all occupations.
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Newfoundland and Labrador by economic region.
|Avalon Peninsula Region||Fair Fair|
|Notre Dame-Central-Bonavista Bay Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|South Coast–Burin Peninsula Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|West Coast–Northern Peninsula–Labrador Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in Canada
We expect that the labour supply and demand for University professors and lecturers (NOC 4011) will be balanced in Canada over the next 10 years.
- Date modified: