Job prospects University Professor in Nova Scotia
Job opportunities for University professors and lecturers (NOC 4011) are fair in Nova Scotia over the next 3 years. These job prospects are also applicable to people working as an university professor.
Note that these employment prospects were published in December 2019 based on information available at that time. You can read our new special report to learn about the impact of COVID-19 on some occupations in your province or territory. You can also visit the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard to find the latest data on the demand and work requirements for this occupation.
Job opportunities in Nova Scotia
The employment outlook will be fair for University professors and lecturers (NOC 4011) in Nova Scotia for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment decline will lead to the loss of a few positions.
- A moderate number of positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Here are some key facts about University professors and lecturers in the Nova Scotia region:
- Approximately 3,200 people work in this occupation.
- University professors and lecturers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Universities (NAICS 6113):more than 95%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: 89% compared to 80% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: 11% compared to 20% for all occupations
- 66% of university professors and lecturers work all year, while 34% work only part of the year, compared to 62% and 38% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 36 weeks compared to 30 weeks for all occupations.
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Nova Scotia by economic region.
|Annapolis Valley Region||Fair Fair|
|Cape Breton Region||Fair Fair|
|Halifax Region||Fair Fair|
|North Shore Region||Fair Fair|
|Southern Region||Fair Fair|
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in Canada
We expect that the labour supply and demand for University professors and lecturers (NOC 4011) will be balanced in Canada over the next 10 years.
- Date modified: