Job prospects Early Childhood Educator Assistant in Québec
Job opportunities for Early childhood educators and assistants (NOC 4214) are good in Québec over the next 3 years. These job prospects are also applicable to people working as an early childhood educator assistant.
Note that these employment prospects were published in December 2019 based on information available at that time. You can read our new special report to learn about the impact of COVID-19 on some occupations in your province or territory. You can also visit the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard to find the latest data on the demand and work requirements for this occupation.
Job opportunities in Québec
The employment outlook will be good for Early childhood educators and assistants (NOC 4214) in Québec for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to several new positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Accessing an educator's position usually require a college diploma in early childhood education or an Attestation of College Studies in early childhood education. For early childhood assistants, a high school diploma and working experience with children are normally the basic requirements. In addition, a certificate of absence of impediment in connection with the job, as well as a valid first aid certificate for early childhood (which includes a section on severe allergies) are often required. Employers are looking for creative, dynamic, patient people with teamwork skills and interpersonal skills with children, parents and other staff.
Employment in this occupation depends on the number of children who attend early childhood centres, daycares and school-based child care, as well as government funding for these services. By 2021, while an increase in school-age enrollment is anticipated, the number of preschool children is expected to decrease slightly. However, according to data from the Ministère de la Famille, the number of subsidized and unsubsidized preschool places has increased in recent years, a trend that is likely to continue in the medium term and favor the outlook of this occupation.
Here are some key facts about Early childhood educators and assistants in Québec:
- Approximately 94,450 people work in this occupation.
- Early childhood educators and assistants mainly work in the following sectors:
- Social assistance (NAICS 624): 79%
- Elementary and secondary schools (NAICS 6111): 19%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: 78% compared to 80% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: 22% compared to 20% for all occupations
- 50% of early childhood educators and assistants work all year, while 50% work only part of the year, compared to 58% and 42% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 35 weeks compared to 33 weeks for all occupations.
- 23% of early childhood educators and assistants are self-employed compared to an average of 12% for all occupations.
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Québec by economic region.
|Abitibi-Témiscamingue Region||Good Good|
|Bas-Saint-Laurent Region||Good Good|
|Capitale-Nationale Region||Good Good|
|Centre-du-Québec Region||Good Good|
|Chaudière-Appalaches Region||Good Good|
|Côte-Nord Region||Fair Fair|
|Estrie Region||Good Good|
|Gaspésie–Îles-de-la-Madeleine Region||Fair Fair|
|Lanaudière Region||Good Good|
|Laurentides Region||Good Good|
|Laval Region||Good Good|
|Mauricie Region||Good Good|
|Montréal Region||Good Good|
|Montérégie Region||Good Good|
|Nord-du-Québec Region||Fair Fair|
|Outaouais Region||Good Good|
|Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean Region||Fair Fair|
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in Canada
We expect that the labour supply and demand for Early childhood educators and assistants (NOC 4214) will be balanced in Canada over the next 10 years.
- Date modified: