Job prospects Software Design Engineer near Calgary (AB)
Explore current and future job prospects for people working as "Software engineers and designers" near Calgary (AB) or Canada.
Current and future job prospects
Note: These outlooks are based on the 2016 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). Learn more about our methodology.
Recent trends from the past 3 years
Job outlook over the next 3 years
The employment outlook will be very good for Software engineers and designers (NOC 2173) in the Calgary region for the 2022-2024 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to several new positions.
- A moderate number of positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
According to the Alberta Enterprise Corporation, there are over 2,800 tech companies in Alberta, a 203% increase since 2012. More than half of these businesses are based in Calgary. The proportion of companies with more than ten employees has grown rapidly, rising to 49% in 2021 from 38% in 2018. The Conference Board of Canada expects employment in Calgary's professional, scientific, and technical services sector, the sector where most people in this occupation work, will continue to grow through 2025.
Here are some key facts about Software engineers and designers in the Calgary region:
- Approximately 2,880 people work in this occupation.
- Software engineers and designers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Professional, scientific and technical services (NAICS 54): 49%
- Information, cultural, arts, entertainment and recreation services (NAICS 51, 71): 11%
- Wholesale trade (NAICS 41): 9%
Labour market conditions over the next 10 years
Find out what will be the job prospects for Software engineers and designers across Canada over the next 10 years, from 2022 to 2031.
- Date modified: