Job prospects Software Design Engineer near Calgary (AB)
Explore current and future job prospects for people working as "Software engineers and designers" near Calgary (AB) or Canada.
Current and future job prospects
Recent trends from the past 3 years
Job outlook over the next 3 years
The employment outlook will be good for Software engineers and designers (NOC 21231) in the Calgary region for the 2023-2025 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a moderate number of new positions.
- A moderate number of positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
In 2023 there were more than 3,000 technologies companies in Alberta, many of them located in Calgary. The Alberta tech industry has grown and diversified greatly in recent years, and had developed into an ecosystem with strong digital, digital heath, life sciences, and artificial intelligence (AI) sub sectors.
In addition, for the fifth consecutive year, the province experienced record-breaking venture capital investment in 2022, a trend that will likely continue.
Finally, Alberta Innovates, Alberta Enterprise Corporation (AEC) and regional partners have joined forces to launch Start Alberta, a pan-provincial scaleup and growth accelerator program, as part of a broader vision to strengthen Alberta’s innovation ecosystem.
Here are some key facts about Software engineers and designers in the Calgary region:
- Approximately 3,820 people work in this occupation.
- Software engineers and designers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Professional, scientific and technical services (NAICS 54): 56%
- Information, cultural, arts, entertainment and recreation services (NAICS 51, 71): 8%
- Wholesale trade (NAICS 41): 6%
Labour market conditions over the next 10 years
Find out what will be the job prospects for Software engineers and designers across Canada over the next 10 years, from 2022 to 2031.
- Date modified: