Job prospects Software Design Engineer near Toronto (ON)
Explore current and future job prospects for people working as "Software engineers and designers" near Toronto (ON) or Canada.
Current and future job prospects
Note: These outlooks are based on the 2016 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). Learn more about our methodology.
Recent trends from the past 3 years
Job outlook over the next 3 years
The employment outlook will be good for Software engineers and designers (NOC 2173) in the Toronto region for the 2022-2024 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to several new positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
The City of Toronto has the largest technology cluster in Ontario., The Toronto economic region accounts for an above-average share of the workforce of this occupational group, as well as of software publishers and computer systems design firms. Recent additions or expansions by major employers in these and related sectors bode well for employment prospects in the region.
Here are some key facts about Software engineers and designers in the Toronto region:
- Approximately 29,430 people work in this occupation.
- Software engineers and designers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Professional, scientific and technical services (NAICS 54): 55%
- Finance, insurance and Real estate and rental and leasing (NAICS 52-53): 13%
- Information, cultural, arts, entertainment and recreation services (NAICS 51, 71): 9%
- Wholesale trade (NAICS 41): 5%
Labour market conditions over the next 10 years
Find out what will be the job prospects for Software engineers and designers across Canada over the next 10 years, from 2022 to 2031.
- Date modified: