Job prospects Computer Software Engineer in the Kitchener–Waterloo–Barrie Region
Explore current and future job prospects for Software engineers and designers in the Kitchener–Waterloo–Barrie Region. These trends also apply to people working as a computer software engineer.
Note that these employment prospects were published in December 2019 based on information available at that time. You can read our new special report to learn about the impact of COVID-19 on some occupations in your province or territory. You can also visit the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard to find the latest data on the demand and work requirements for this occupation.
Balanced labour market
The prospect of finding work in this occupation was fair over the past few years (2016-2018). The number of job openings was about the same as the number of workers available.
The employment outlook will be good for Software engineers and designers (NOC 2173) in the Kitchener - Waterloo - Barrie region for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to several new positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Within this economic region, the Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo area is among the top three technology clusters in Ontario. The region has a diverse technology base with growth planned by several companies. The area is also home to some of the province's larger computer systems design firms, software producers, as well as established companies and start-ups.
The insurance sector also has a strong presence in the economic region, particularly in the City of Waterloo. Similar to other areas of the financial services, the sector is advancing digital technology as a way to apply new features for customer interaction. Generally, there are a number of incubators, accelerators and corporate innovation laboratories supporting companies at various stages of growth and development, and this also bodes well for work opportunities.
Here are some key facts about Software engineers and designers in the Kitchener - Waterloo - Barrie region:
- Approximately 2,610 people work in this occupation.
- Software engineers and designers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Professional, scientific and technical services (NAICS 54): 55%
- Information, cultural, arts, entertainment and recreation services (NAICS 51, 71): 19%
- Finance, insurance and Real estate and rental and leasing (NAICS 52-53): 8%
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in CanadaExplore current and future job prospects elsewhere in Canada.
- Date modified: