Job prospects Designer - Interior Design in Newfoundland and Labrador
Job opportunities for Interior designers and interior decorators (NOC 5242) are fair in Newfoundland and Labrador over the next 3 years. These job prospects are also applicable to people working as a designer - interior design.
Note that these employment prospects were published in December 2019 based on information available at that time. You can read our new special report to learn about the impact of COVID-19 on some occupations in your province or territory. You can also visit the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard to find the latest data on the demand and work requirements for this occupation.
Job opportunities in Newfoundland and Labrador
The employment outlook will be fair for Interior designers and interior decorators (NOC 5242) in Newfoundland and Labrador for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment decline will lead to the loss of a few positions.
- Several positions will become available due to retirements.
Here are some key facts about Interior designers and interior decorators in the Newfoundland and Labrador region:
- Approximately 100 people worked in this occupation in May 2015.
- Interior designers and interior decorators mainly work in the following sectors:
- Architectural, engineering and design services (NAICS 5413): 46%
- Other retail stores (NAICS 44-45, except 445): 21%
- Other manufacturing (NAICS 313-316, 325-327, 331, 334-335, 337, 339): 17%
- Construction (NAICS 23): 8%
- Personal and laundry services (NAICS 812): 8%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: 83% compared to 84% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: 17% compared to 16% for all occupations
- 57% of interior designers and interior decorators work all year, while 43% work only part of the year, compared to 56% and 44% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 22 weeks compared to 26 weeks for all occupations.
- 54% of interior designers and interior decorators are self-employed compared to an average of 6% for all occupations.
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Newfoundland and Labrador by economic region.
|Avalon Peninsula Region||Fair Fair|
|Notre Dame-Central-Bonavista Bay Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|South Coast–Burin Peninsula Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|West Coast–Northern Peninsula–Labrador Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in Canada
We expect that there will be a labour SHORTAGE for Interior designers and interior decorators (NOC 5242) in Canada over the next 10 years.
- Date modified: