Job prospects Cook near Yellowknife (NT)
Explore current and future job prospects for people working as "Cooks" near Yellowknife (NT) or Canada.
Current and future job prospects
Recent trends from the past 3 years
Job outlook over the next 3 years
The employment outlook will be moderate for Cooks (NOC 63200) in Northwest Territories for the 2023-2025 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment decline will lead to the loss of some positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
- High employee turnover in this occupation could lead to additional employment opportunities.
- Due to the seasonal nature of this occupation, employment opportunities may vary depending on the time of the year.
Much of the demand for the food services sector comes during the busy tourist season. It remains to be seen how the wildfire season of 2023 will affect tourism in the short term.
Here are some key facts about Cooks in Northwest Territories:
- Approximately 250 people worked in this occupation in May 2021.
- Cooks mainly work in the following sectors:
- Tourism & Culture (NAICS 51, 71-72): 47%
- Health care and social services (NAICS 62): 16%
- Public Administration and Defence (NAICS 91): 15%
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (NAICS 21): 7%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: 72% compared to 88% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: 28% compared to 12% for all occupations
- 49% of cooks work all year, while 51% work only part of the year, compared to 71% and 28% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 37 weeks compared to 44 weeks for all occupations.
- The gender distribution of people in this occupation is:
- Men: 52% compared to 52% for all occupations
- Women: 48% compared to 48% for all occupations
- The educational attainment of workers in this occupation is:
- no high school diploma: 37% compared to 17% for all occupations
- high school diploma or equivalent: 27% compared to 26% for all occupations
- apprenticeship or trades certificate or diploma: 17% compared to 12% for all occupations
- college certificate or diploma or university certificate below bachelor's: 14% compared to 18% for all occupations
- bachelor's degree: n/a
- university certificate, degree or diploma above bachelor level: n/a
Labour market conditions over the next 10 years
Find out what will be the job prospects for Cooks across Canada over the next 10 years, from 2022 to 2031.
- Date modified: