Job prospects Cook near Ottawa (ON)
Explore current and future job prospects for Cooks near Ottawa (ON). These trends also apply to people working as a cook.
Balanced labour market
The prospect of finding work in this occupation was fair over the past few years (2016-2018). The number of job openings was about the same as the number of workers available.
The employment outlook will be good for Cooks (NOC 6322) in the Ottawa region for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to several new positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
- High employee turnover in this occupation could lead to additional employment opportunities.
- Due to the seasonal nature of this occupation, employment opportunities tend to be more favourable during the summer months.
Restaurant and food service operations will continue to benefit from the high inflow of visitors to the National Capital Region, which will generate job opportunities for these workers. Employers in the Ottawa area may prefer applicants who are bilingual in French and English.
Here are some key facts about Cooks in the Ottawa region:
- Approximately 5,760 people work in this occupation.
- Cooks mainly work in the following sectors:
- Accommodation and food services (NAICS 72): 81%
- Nursing and residential care facilities and social assistance (NAICS 623-624): 8%
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in CanadaExplore current and future job prospects elsewhere in Canada.
- Date modified: