Job prospects Cook near Saanich (BC)
Explore current and future job prospects for Cooks near Saanich (BC). These trends also apply to people working as a cook.
Note: These employment prospects were published in December 2021 based on the information available at the time of analysis. The next update will be in December 2022. To learn more, see our FAQs. You can also find additional information on the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard.
Recent trends from the past 3 years
The prospect of finding work in this occupation was poor over the past few years (2018-2020). There were more workers available than job openings.
Job outlook over the next 3 years
The employment outlook will be fair for Cooks (NOC 6322) in the Vancouver Island and Coast region for the 2021-2023 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a moderate number of new positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are several unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
- High employee turnover in this occupation could lead to additional employment opportunities.
Restrictions on restaurant dining and concerns around COVID-19 transmission led to sharp revenue declines in British Columbia's restaurant segment. Recovery in this occupation will be linked with easing of restrictions.
Here are some key facts about Cooks in the Vancouver Island and Coast region:
- Approximately 4,330 people work in this occupation.
- Cooks mainly work in the following sectors:
- Accommodation and food services (NAICS 72): 64%
- Nursing and residential care facilities and social assistance (NAICS 623-624): 14%
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Labour market conditions over the next 10 yearsExplore current and future job prospects elsewhere in Canada.
- Date modified: