Job prospects Cook near Hamilton (ON)
Explore current and future job prospects for Cooks near Hamilton (ON). These trends also apply to people working as a cook.
Note that the current 2019-2021 employment prospects were published in December 2019 based on information available at that time. We are working to update this information as soon as possible. In the meantime, visit the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard to find the latest data on the demand and work requirements for this occupation. You can also read our newly updated sectoral profiles to learn about recent developments for key economic sectors in your region.
Balanced labour market
The prospect of finding work in this occupation was fair over the past few years (2016-2018). The number of job openings was about the same as the number of workers available.
The employment outlook will be good for Cooks (NOC 6322) in the Hamilton - Niagara Peninsula region for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to several new positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
- High employee turnover in this occupation could lead to additional employment opportunities.
- Due to the seasonal nature of this occupation, employment opportunities tend to be more favourable during the summer months.
The region hosts a significant cluster of restaurants and drinking places in support of tourism activities, particularly in the Niagara region, which adds to the work opportunities for cooks.
Here are some key facts about Cooks in the Hamilton - Niagara Peninsula region:
- Approximately 8,180 people work in this occupation.
- Cooks mainly work in the following sectors:
- Accommodation and food services (NAICS 72): 79%
- Nursing and residential care facilities and social assistance (NAICS 623-624): 8%
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in CanadaExplore current and future job prospects elsewhere in Canada.
- Date modified: