Job prospects Ironworker in Newfoundland and Labrador
Job opportunities for Ironworkers (NOC 7236) are limited in Newfoundland and Labrador over the next 3 years. These job prospects are also applicable to people working as an ironworker.
Note that these employment prospects were published in December 2019 based on information available at that time. You can read our new special report to learn about the impact of COVID-19 on some occupations in your province or territory. You can also visit the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard to find the latest data on the demand and work requirements for this occupation.
Job opportunities in Newfoundland and Labrador
The employment outlook will be limited for Ironworkers (NOC 7236) in Newfoundland and Labrador for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment decline will lead to the loss of a few positions.
- A moderate number of positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are several unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Here are some key facts about Ironworkers in the Newfoundland and Labrador region:
- Approximately 950 people work in this occupation.
- Ironworkers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Construction (NAICS 23): 75%
- Other manufacturing (NAICS 313-316, 325-327, 331, 334-335, 337, 339): 6%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: more than 95% compared to 84% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: less than 5% compared to 16% for all occupations
- 24% of ironworkers work all year, while 76% work only part of the year, compared to 56% and 44% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 27 weeks compared to 26 weeks for all occupations.
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Newfoundland and Labrador by economic region.
|Avalon Peninsula Region||Limited Limited|
|Notre Dame-Central-Bonavista Bay Region||Limited Limited|
|South Coast–Burin Peninsula Region||Limited Limited|
|West Coast–Northern Peninsula–Labrador Region||Limited Limited|
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
- Date modified: