Job prospects Independent Practice - Registered Nurse near Edmonton (AB)
Explore current and future job prospects for people working as "Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses" near Edmonton (AB) or Canada.
Current and future job prospects
Note that these outlooks are based on the 2016 version of the NOC. Learn more about our methodology.
Recent trends from the past 3 years
The prospect of finding work in this occupation was fair over the past few years (2019-2021). The number of job openings was about the same as the number of workers available.
Source Labour Market Information | Recent Trends Assessment Methodology
Job outlook over the next 3 years
The employment outlook will be very good for Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses (NOC 3012) in the Edmonton region for the 2022-2024 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to several new positions.
- A moderate number of positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Alberta’s population and its proportion of residents aged 65+ are predicted to increase over the next 20 years, contributing to demand for this occupation. The Alberta government’s Budget 2022 allocates $22 billion for health services in 2022-23, an increase of approximately $500 million or 2.4% from 2021-22, excluding the costs related to responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, the Alberta government has signaled that it may soon pursue wage cuts for health sector employees.
Here are some key facts about Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses in the Edmonton region:
- Approximately 16,510 people work in this occupation.
- Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses mainly work in the following sectors:
- Ambulatory health care services and hospitals (NAICS 621-622): 86%
- Nursing and residential care facilities and social assistance (NAICS 623-624): 10%
Labour market conditions over the next 10 years
Find out what will be the job prospects for Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses across Canada over the next 10 years, from 2022 to 2031.
- Date modified: