Job prospects Heavy Equipment Mechanic near Lloydminster (AB)
Explore current and future job prospects for Heavy-duty equipment mechanics near Lloydminster (AB). These trends also apply to people working as a heavy equipment mechanic.
Note that these employment prospects were published in December 2019 based on information available at that time. You can read our new special report to learn about the impact of COVID-19 on some occupations in your province or territory. You can also visit the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard to find the latest data on the demand and work requirements for this occupation.
The prospect of finding work in this occupation was good over the past few years (2016-2018). There were more job openings than workers available to fill them.
The employment outlook will be good for Heavy-duty equipment mechanics (NOC 7312) in the Camrose - Drumheller region for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a few new positions.
- Several positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a moderate number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Coal production in Alberta has been in decline, largely because of the imminent closure of mines aimed at producing thermal coal for domestic use. The government mandated transition from coal-fired power generation to natural gas-fired and renewable energy sources may limit the job opportunities for this mining related occupation. That said, the Vista coal mine is now operating and shipping coal to export markets with a few new jobs on offer.
Here are some key facts about Heavy-duty equipment mechanics in the Camrose - Drumheller region:
- Approximately 1,360 people work in this occupation.
- Heavy-duty equipment mechanics mainly work in the following sectors:
- Wholesale trade (NAICS 41): 33%
- Other services (except public administration) (NAICS 81): 14%
- Construction (NAICS 23): 11%
- Transportation and warehousing (NAICS 48-49): 8%
- Agriculture: 6%
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in CanadaExplore current and future job prospects elsewhere in Canada.
- Date modified: