Job prospects General Farm Worker near Edmonton (AB)
Explore current and future job prospects for General farm workers near Edmonton (AB). These trends also apply to people working as a general farm worker.
Note that these employment prospects were published in December 2019 based on information available at that time. You can read our new special report to learn about the impact of COVID-19 on some occupations in your province or territory. You can also visit the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard to find the latest data on the demand and work requirements for this occupation.
Balanced labour market
The prospect of finding work in this occupation was fair over the past few years (2016-2018). The number of job openings was about the same as the number of workers available.
The employment outlook will be fair for General farm workers (NOC 8431) in the Edmonton region for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a few new positions.
- A moderate number of positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a moderate number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
- High employee turnover in this occupation could lead to additional employment opportunities.
- Due to the seasonal nature of this occupation, employment opportunities tend to be more favourable during the summer months.
The production of recreational and medical cannabis, and associated product development has created demand for this occupation. In Alberta, the cannabis industry is concentrated in the areas of Edmonton, Calgary and Lethbridge-Medicine Hat. The recent legalization of edible cannabis products may lead to new job opportunities.
Here are some key facts about General farm workers in the Edmonton region:
- Date modified: